Monday, June 2, 2014

Murph, Memorial Day, Regionals, and a bunch of other stuff!

Hi! Hope you are all well!
Things have been nuts the past few weeks. Sometimes I feel like my head is spinning- between work, crossfit, and my other extra curricular activities, I feel like I'm missing something or forgetting to do something! I guess that means I need to take a step back, and start writing things down!

Anyhow, a couple of weeks ago we had The "Murph" Challenge at our gym. Murph is a hero- here's the description from Crossfit.com:
For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.
This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it "Body Armor". From here on it will be referred to as "Murph" in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it." 
After the final mile of "Murph" L-R  "THE MONARCHY (Mike, and Elena), Alisa, Me, Rose, and Lisa! 


So yeah, it's a pretty tough wod. I did it last year, but my wrist was broken, so everything was scaled- this year, I had to bring it! But everything was scaled again. Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing as much work as everyone else when I scale things, but that's a personal issue that I have to learn to deal with. But, that's neither here nor there. ANYWAY, it was awesome. We had a great turn out and helped raise over $8,000 for The New England Center for Homeless Veterans! That's pretty awesome! They timed it a little differently this year. We had 10 minutes to complete the first mile- LOL never going to happen- I got 5 or 6 laps in out of 8. And then 40 minutes to finish everything else. (I knew I would never finish, but I still gave it my all). Not too bad, I just wish I could run like a runner, but I'm not one, so I guess that's why- haha. For pull ups, the scaling option was jumping pull ups, push-ups from the knees, and there is no scaling option for the good ole' squat! The second mile run, we had to go from the gym and run a mile (on a main road, with cars containing people) to the Hingham Shipyard. Wahlburger's was a sponsor, so we got a burger and more importantly, a nice cold glass of water at the end. Running is one of my many goats. My lungs don't like running, my body doesn't like it, I just don't like it. But I have to embrace it, because if something bad happens, I'm most likely going to have to run. With that being said, Alisa and I were starting our final run at the same time. At that stage of the game, I was spent, there was no way I was going to "run" aka slow jog anywhere after those squats. Alisa walk-ran the whole final mile with me. Even though she would finish way before me, if she just took off! I was glad to have her, but felt like I was holding her back. At that stage, I couldn't even deal with anything, so I just did what I could. We came around the bend at the shipyard, and I could see bright orange shirts, and it was like a mirage! A Sharon Froio mirage- I knew I was almost there- so I stepped it up, and ran the rest of the way in! It was so awesome to finish and have someone to finish with. So thanks, Alisa- I probably would still be by the side of the road somewhere in Hingham, if it weren't for your support!

That was the week before Memorial Day. On Memorial Day, we did probably the hardest WOD I've ever done, another hero WOD- "Adam Brown." Again from Crossfit.com:
Two rounds for time of:
295 pound Deadlift, 24 reps
24 Box jumps, 24 inch box
24 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball
195 pound Bench press, 24 reps
24 Box jumps, 24 inch box
24 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball
145 pound Clean, 24 reps

Navy Chief Special Warfare Operator (SEAL) Adam Lee Brown, 36, of Hot Springs, Arkansas, was killed on March 17th, 2010 in Komar Province, Afghanistan, in a battle against heavily armed militants. He is survived by his wife, Kelley, two children, Nathan and Savannah, and by his parents.

Once again, this had to be scaled- hello I can't DL/press/clean that much weight, so I did the DL @ 115lbs, Bench Press and Clean @ 65lbs. And the box jumps were scaled to a medium box + 45lb plate step-ups. We had to share a bench press bar with a partner, so I was working with Janine. Janine is so awesome. Her and her husband, Scott are two of the nicest people ever! So glad that they are at our box! Anyhow, this WOD absolutely killed me. Every time I turned around I was doing wall balls- another nemesis of mine! I started a minute ahead of Janine, so there wouldn't be a traffic jam at the bench press, but of course, wall balls take me FOREVER to do, so she lapped me! I was starting to feel defeated, but then I remembered, that it didn't matter, and I was going to finish no matter what. Once it was over, I was smoked. Mike told me it was the best he'd ever seen me move in a WOD (that was pretty cool- sort of like being student of the day...LOL). I was hurting for a few days after that!

A couple of days later or the following week- I don't know- the days sort of blend now- we had a wod that was just 7 minutes of burpees. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? We did a little strength work before, and I PR'd my strict press and split jerk, but I was not looking forward to 7 minutes of all burpees. Probably my worst nightmare. But, the wods that you don't want to go to, are the ones that you should probably be at! So there I went- burpees for a whole 7 minutes. The average number of reps in the class was between 70-100. I only got 30, and I was dead. I felt sort of like a failure. In a whole 7 minutes, all I could manage was 30 burpees, and other people were getting 70 and feeling bad about that score. But as he was walking out, Jay (the Marine- the older guy that comes to the 5:30p class all the time) told me that I was his hero. A Marine told me, that I was his hero. How cool is that? I've never thought of myself as someone that other's would look up to- I just do what I can, and that's that. But I'm starting to feel okay about myself and how I do in WODs. I know I'm not at the level I want to be at yet, but I will get there one day!

With all that being said, I signed up for my first individual competition today- Obviously in the scaled division, but it will make me push myself to work harder and really work on some of my goats (AKA box step ups). I'm pretty excited/scared and proud all at the same time! That's coming up in August, and it's going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regionals were this weekend! Hello, shirtless, sweaty, muscly men working out all day? SIGN ME UP! Seriously, these were the best athletes in the northeast region, and it was a pleasure to watch them throw down- both male and female! The atmosphere was so awesome- just so many muscles- everywhere- in the stands, at the booths, at the food trucks, it was crazy! Kaylee's husband, JD, who works for Reebok and is also a coach for us and Reebok ONE, was a part of the RCF1 Team. That is pretty cool- when you know someone in real life who is competing. The ONE team did an excellent job, but sadly, they will not be going to the games this year. The weekend was still so awesome- hanging out with all crossfit people that get it and are pretty cool. Of course, I did take a photo with the cardboard cutout of Matt Fraser (the guy who one the regional) and asked the Progenex guy if I could have his poster of Dan Bailey (a super muscly, handsome crossfitter). Everyone laughs, but I would find a place for that!! haha

Me and my buddy, Alex! :)
Some of our awesome members! 
me & cardboard Matt Fraser! <3



Today (and yesterday) as usual, I've been getting some negative feedback from my parents, specifically my mother, because of how I choose to do crossfit activities over staying home. It doesn't make sense. If I stayed home, she would ask me why I wasn't going out- if I go out, I get yelled at for not being home. I just can't keep it straight. I've touched on this before (See last week's post) about how it sucks when friends and family members do not support your decision to make your life better via Crossfit. Yes, it is something that I enjoy, and talk about a lot, but is it my entire life? No. I have a lot of other things going on too, but for some reason, the thought of me being a part of the crossfit community doesn't sit well with my family. You would think I joined the KKK or something like that. Yes, I enjoy watching youtube videos of Rich Froning and other athletes banging around weights. Yes, I like going to the box to workout and blow off some steam. Yes, I'm grateful for every one of the friendships I've made at the box. Yes, I'm happy that I am finally starting to feel comfortable in my own skin. Why do any of these things seem negative to my family? I can't wrap my head around it. I'm glad that I have other people at the box to discuss these things with- it just seems like I'm always trying to look for acceptance from my family, but I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that they are not going to support me in this endeavor of mine. My favorite part of "The Monarchy" (Sorry MM!!) Elena, just said to me "Your parents don't have the solution, you do." Like, she JUST wrote that to me. how fitting. So from now on, I will be the strong lady I know I can, and ignore the negativity. If people don't want to accept me the way I am, then they can watch me leave.

My love, Rich doing work. <3 <3 <3 <3 




Once again, I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I think that's good enough for now. So grateful for my crossfit family and my ability to fight for my happiness. Enjoy your night! Thanks for reading! You guys and gals are the best! :)
<3- AA




No comments:

Post a Comment