Monday, August 4, 2014

THIS is CrossFit.

Wow. I'm completely overwhelmed with love and support from yesterday! In case you didn't see the millions of posts, yesterday I competed in my first individual scaled competition at CrossFit781 in Weymouth. I was apprehensive to sign up, because I'm not an athlete- by any stretch of the imagination. I never have been. So I talked to my coach, and he sort of eased my mind, and I signed up. I was fine for a while- there were a lot of people from my box in the competition- so I would be at ease. Then the wods were released. One of them included 25 20" box step ups. If you've followed me before, you know that anything having to do with a box is the bane of my existence. About a year and a half ago, I fell off of a box while doing box jumps and have had a mental struggle with any kind of box ever since. It's just a stupid box, but it has caused me so much trouble! As soon as the wods were released, I knew I had to start stepping on that box- before class/after class/during wods- I just had to do it. So many people from my box (the box and the box- something I love and hate! HA), gave me tips, and stayed with me, held my hand and helped me get on the box. But I knew I had to do this one myself. This competition was real, and I wouldn't be in the comforts or familiarity of my own box.
A week before the competition, one of my amazing coaches, Mike M, opened up the box on Sunday and allowed us to come and do a dry run of all of the wods, just so we could get a feel for what was in store next week. It was an understatement to say I was scared. Although the weight was light for the power cleans and thrusters (45lbs), it still took me longer than I expected. The burpees and the wallballs were gross- it's two movements that I HATE, and that gas me so quickly. It takes me forever to do burpees, but I can do them. But it was the chipper wod that got me. 25 deadlifts, 25 box stepups, 25 abmat situps, 25 cal row, 25 jumping pullups, 25 stepups, & 25 deadlifts. All to be finished in 13 minutes. Yeah, ok- never happening. During practice, I struggled to get 12 stepups...Like really struggled, and I was completely discouraged for the competition. I just didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of all those people. I'm already self-conscious as it is, being the biggest competitor, but not being able to get on that box would crush my self-confidence completely.
Finally, it was competition day. I was nervous and anxious and excited all in one. I saw a bunch of familiar faces from my box, so I got a little more comfortable, but I knew those step ups were coming, so I would never be comfortable until those were over with! Of course they were programmed last! First up was the wall ball/burpee nastiness. Dan was my judge, and I'm so glad he was there. He made me focus on just me and him and the task at hand- just block everyone else out. Dan- you don't know how much you making me focus helped. I did the burpees at the best pace I've ever done before. It was awesome.
After that little number, came a 10min AMRAP of 5 power cleans; 7 thrusters (gross), and 9 KB swings. I thought this would be easier than it was, but it wasn't. I had our head coach Mike L as my judge (I basically told all of the girls in our heat that I claimed him...hahahah). My sister and her boyfriend along with my best friend and her husband were there, and now I knew I had to bring it. This was my time to prove to my non-crossfit family and friends what we are all about. Mike- your coaching during that wod, was incredible- I'm forever grateful for you. After that wod, I was gassed, but luckily I had a few hours to kill before the final chipper wod was up. More time to kill = more time to think. I started to get into my own head and second guess my decision to sign up again.
Seeing all of these incredibly athletes made me think that there's no way I should be here as a participant. I'm no where near their level of athleticism and what was I thinking, signing up for a competition at my size? How do I always get myself into these problems? I broke down while waiting and watching the men's heat (I would normally be completely focused on no shirt wearing men, so that's when I knew something was wrong)! Michelle- my biggest fan, tried to give me a pep talk, but it wasn't working, and my heat was coming up. I don't know who told him to come and find me, but Mike M, my coach, friend, and teammate came over just as my heat was announced. He just looked me in the eye and told me I could do this. I did it last week, and I could do it now. It was everything I needed. Of course I claimed Mike L as my judge again- I needed him a lot during yesterday, but especially during this one. I finished the 25 dead-lifts in no time, and then it was time for the box. I missed the first time I tried to get on there. Mike told me to shake it off and go again. So that's what I did. I took some advice that Elena had given me a while back- just treat them like stairs-you go up stairs all the time. So I backed up, got some momentum, and got on that box. Then Jason, the head coach from CF781 came up and started cheering me on. Let me tell you about Jason. He's on my man calendar at work (yes, of course I have a man calendar) I posted a pic of the calendar, and low and behold, one of my friends knows him and tagged him in it. We became facebook friends, and then his box hosted battle of the south shore boxes! He is such a nice guy, and completely welcomed me and my bare cove family to his gym. And yes ladies, he's just as handsome in real life! hahaha. His fiance, Dani is gorgeous as well, and just as nice! So back to the box....It took all I had to get up there. But every time I did, the whole entire place erupted with cheers. It was so loud, amazing, awesome, incredible, and every other adjective!  Every time my stepped up there, the cheers got louder and louder. People that didn't even know me- getting excited for me and cheering me on. I've never felt love like that before (wait- isn't that a song? haha). I focused on Chris, Sharon, and Lauren in the back of the room. Their faces were familiar and everything I needed to keep going. Before I knew it, I was on my last step up. I got up there and the place went wild. I started crying, I'm almost certain everyone was crying. It was an amazing feeling. But there was still time before the 13 min time cap was up. I got myself off the box, and busted out my 25 situps, and then hopped on the rower. Was this real life? Did I really have enough time left to be on the rower? It was nuts. I said to Andrea before my heat went up- "my goal is to just get one step up in the time cap. Just one and I'll be happy." And then I got 25, followed by 25 situps, followed by 22ish cals on the rower. Yes, I was the last one to finish, but you know what, who cares? I far surpassed my goal and it was awesome. The entire bare cove crew busted through the caution tape and hopped over rowers and we had an amazing group hug and cry. So many people came up to me after the wod and said that I was awesome and I made them cry. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do those step ups! But I'm glad to have inspired people along the way!  A lot of people, including Katherine, caught it on tape and posted it to facebook. There are so many likes and shares, I can't even begin to count them. Then something really cool happened. Someone posted that video, and Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet, aka the fittest woman on earth reposted it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? And how could I forget this awesome bit- one of my coaches, Chris also works for Reebok, and gave Rich Froning AKA fittest man on earth 4 years in a row, my number and he SENT ME A TEXT MESSAGE congratulating me! I was shaking and freaking out- it was nuts.



Alex, me, and Mike! <3
Actual text message from the champ!




Since yesterday's video, I've received so many messages, texts, wall posts, etc from people from all over the country and the world. Complete strangers telling me that I inspired them. Me- the fat chick who crossfits inspired other people. It just doesn't seem real. I'm so incredibly appreciative for every single person who was at the competition yesterday, as well as everyone who sent me a message or gave me a hug, etc. I am completely overwhelmed with love and happiness. Our community is the reason why our sport is the best. I am forever grateful for yesterday. I can't even begin to describe everything I'm feeling. Just love!
But, I don't want to overshadow everyone else from my box who competed yesterday too! Kate- my girl- it was her first comp too! You did so awesome, and I'm so glad you decided to sign up! Nina, Christy, Toni, Carol, Sadie, Katherine, Ali, & Nanette- you ladies are amazing. Such strong women, and incredibly role models. I aspire to be as strong as you some day. Scott G, Scott B, Brian, & Mike M- you guys are some seriously tough dudes. You all performed so well, and I'm glad to call you friends.
How could I forget the amazing bare cove supporters! Michelle- my number one fan- you are amazing and I can't thank you enough for staying the whole day and cheering for each and every one of us. Chris, Sharon & the kids- You are truly an incredible family. Your kids are two of the most amazing children and I'm so glad you two decided to open up RCFBC. My life is completely changed because of you two. Chris- you don't know how much you made my day by hooking it up with the Rich text. I'm still smiling! And yes, I promise I won't text him or stalk him! haha. Elena & the girls, Sarah, Bob, Jami, Dan, Alex, Lauren, Kaylee, JD, Janine, Harrison, Mary Lenore, Phil, Hillary, & Hayden (and anyone else I may have forgotten)- Thank you. Just thank you so much. I can't even begin to find the words to thank you. My life is infinitely better with all of you in it. Crossfit has completely changed my life, and yesterday's support is what it's all about. People helping people and respect. I'm completely overjoyed and bursting at the seems with happiness and love. Just a huge thank you to every one! If you need any more proof that crossfit is a cult- here it is. Yes we are a cult, and a pretty inspiring one at that. Much love to everyone. <3

Thrusters....the struggle is real.

AMAZING. Love this so much.

Bare Cove team!!

Super strong Bare Cove ladies! <3

Our crazy crew! xoxo

Simply the best feeling in the world. 


Here are some links, in case you didn't see the videos:
https://www.facebook.com/CFStrongWomen/posts/693070317447397?reply_comment_id=693232847431144&total_comments=2

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153223961881416&set=vb.577871415&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152205753491956&set=vb.514961955&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1498873233683142&set=p.1498873233683142&type=2&theater

64 comments:

  1. Watching you, totally NOT give up, has to be one of the best moments I've witnessed in a really long time. You should be proud of yourself. You did an amazing job on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the biggest person in my box!!! I've done competitions and had every single thought that you have had!!! The thought of competition always seems like a fantastic idea at the time, something to prove, and then the time comes and I'm scared to death! All these athletes... All these fit people who are hundreds of pounds lighter than me, and then there is me! The fat girl! My brain starts all those thoughts "people are looking at you like why are you even trying" "look how much bigger you are" etc I could keep going! But it isn't like that! Reality is that the crossfit community is the best damn group of people to ever exist, and they scream and cheer and genuinely want you to do your best! I used to feel as if "oh they are just cheering in pity" but they aren't they truly are so proud! There is so much love that it is overwhelming!!! Reading your story made me cry! I can relate to all of it! I'm signed up for a competition at my box here in RI in September and I've been so stressed out about it (and yes it's still a month away! Haha) reading your story helped remind why I love crossfit and why I love competitions because it isn't about proving yourself to other people, because they already love you, they are already rooting for you, it's about proving it to yourself! Thank you for being brave and being an inspiration! Thank you for being awesome! Awesome job! And congratulations on your competition!!! :-) keep moving and never give up! It's the mantra I said in my head over and over again! Hahaha thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Keep working! Our sport is amazing! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Girl! I was competing on Sunday and got to watch you in the chipper. It was amazing and inspiring to see your drive. I've stumbled across your story on facebook and reddit in the past two days and am so happy for you! I hope you'll bring a team to my gym Cynergy Crossfit in September for our WOD for Paws charity competition. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicholas! Sunday was awesome! A bunch of us will be at Cynergy this weekend for the masters competition- hope to meet you there! Thanks for the support! :)

      Delete
  4. I am bawling my eyes out reading this! Congratulations beautiful girl. DON'T EVER QUIT! Rich Froning? Seriously? :) Liz Pickle, CF Athlete at 321 in Topsham, Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Yes, the man himself....it was truly the most amazing day!!! :)

      Delete
  5. AWESOME! I am crying too! I fought through The 2014 Open with very similar experience - enjoy all those excellent endorphins you earned every one of them! I am so happy to have the back story on this - makes it even more victorious! Keep kicking ass! Wendy Weston, CF Athlete at UpperCape Crossfit in Bourne, MA (Stop by sometime! We love visitors!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy- thank you so much!! The support has been amazing! I'll drop in next time I'm down the cape!! :)

      Delete
  6. I am so excited, happy and crying all at the same time! you are inspiring and an inspiration to us all! thanks for sharing! I remember my first box jump/ I cried ! and my box crew family is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...a lot of struggle, but it's worth it! :)

      Delete
  7. No words. Just tears. YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda you are an amazing person! I applaud you in your crossfit competition!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing!! You are on the podium of life, which is better than any podium in any competition!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously, you are doing such amazing things. I wanted to tell you that you deserve every supportive hug and comment that you get because we are only as good as how hard we try and you are ROCKING it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much- I appreciate all of the kind words! :)

      Delete
  11. cool except weird you added 'froning' to your phone as Rich which is kinda creepy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any contact I add with a first and last name only displays the first name when looking at that specific convo. So...it's not creepy, just how the phone works.

      Delete
    2. I just feel adding him as a contact is creepy in the first place

      Delete
    3. Jealous much?

      Delete
    4. If she didn't add him as a contact, his phone number would show up on the screen shot. I'm sure he appreciates the privacy and doesn't think it's creepy at all.

      Delete
    5. I have an iphone and that's the way it displays the names. Sorry if you think that's creepy- not sure how else you wanted me to save it........Also, keep your negativity elsewhere!

      Delete
  12. Love. Just love! This is so great and exactly the reason I keep going back to my box, North Bend CrossFit. Today I PR'd my deadlift at #205. Keep at it girl! You are such an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome!! Thanks for all the support! :)

      Delete
  13. I am crying after reading this. I did CrossFit for a year, and loved every single minute of it. I never felt better in my entire life, and I was the fat girl at all of the WODs. I competed in FGB, and had the slowest time, but I finished. I stopped going to CrossFit because of financial problems, and I have missed it every day since then. For those people who say, "You can do that at any gym," you have no idea what it's like. The support that you have shown from these words and photos is immeasurable, and it has inspired me to find a box to join starting next month. Thank you for your inspiration, and don't ever delete those messages from Camille and Rich! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The support I have from the crossfit community and my box in particular is incredible. I'm so glad I found crossfit- it saved my life! Good luck finding a new box! I will save those messages FOREVER!!! haha

      Delete
  14. someone is cutting onions near my computer. damn onions. keep going, never quit. you are why we love Crossfit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Amanda! My friend and fellow CFer from Crossfit Automile shared your story with me. I'm 45 and a few weeks ago I fell on a box jump and required 5 stitches. I started to convince myself that I'm too old and too weak for CF/box jumps. Thanks for the reminder that if you are brave enough to do it, I can be too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a lot, and I'm obviously still scared, but getting on that box has been the most amazing thing. Sorry to hear of your injury, but keep going back- that's how you get stronger!

      Delete
  16. So proud of you!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I couldn't hold back my tears watching you complete that WOD and seeing everyone rush forward to congratulate you!!! :,) I too am the "heavy chick" at my Box (crossfit2serve, Henderson,NV). I started Crossfit in Jan. of this year and I LOVE it!!! I've lost 74 lbs. so far still have another 100+ to go. Seeing that video & reading your blog truly inspired me further! I have yet to allow myself to try jumping onto the box b/c I have been too scared but after reading that YOU did it, and in a competition no less, truly gives me hope that I can too!!! Also getting a text from Rich Froning is soooo cool!!! :) Keep it up!!! You and I both will achieve our goals :) God Bless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much- I appreciate all of the kind words! :) Good luck with everything!!

      Delete
  18. Amanda, I've watched your video over and over.... each time with a smile on my face, and tears in my eyes. I can't imagine how you were feeling when everyone was cheering you on. WOW!!! Simply amazing to watch.

    I'm 56 yrs old, and just started CF June 3rd..... I told the Coaches and my On Ramp group that looking around I knew that I was the oldest one (in our group) but I would not quit!! I haven't quit... and 99% of the time, I'm the last one to finish our WOD... but I'm there ~ and doing it ~ and passing everyone on the couch.

    Keep up the good work and so will I ~ ~ and Thank you for encouraging me to continue on this journey that I love so much.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much- I appreciate all of the kind words! Never quit! Even when I broke my wrist, my amazing coaches scaled wods for me and it was awesome. Crossfit literally saved my life! Good luck on your journey! :)

      Delete
  19. This is beautiful. YOU are beautiful. I was crying halfway through reading this. For a moment there it felt like I was in the room with all of the wonderful people cheering you on. Thank you for sharing this. For the past two weeks, I have lost some of my eagerness and enthusiasm in doing the WODs for many reasons. Now those reasons don't matter anymore. What matters is I let go of them and get my ass back on the box. Thank you Amanda. You are AMAZING. Sending much love and gratitude all the way from the Philippines. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Your kind words mean so much! I love that this is spreading all over the world! It's amazing! :)

      Delete
  20. You are amazing!! Great job!! I'm the fat girl at my box, always the last to finish, so I totally get where you are coming from. So so so proud of you!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much!! Keep up the good work- doesn't matter if we come in last, at least we are there!! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's after midnight and I'm up way past my bedtime working. I was not a happy camper ... until I read this. Thank you for the last-minute inspiration. Maximum respect!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Onion Ninjas got me too...you ROCK, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Keep up the great work! My company, Beast Worx, just posted your video on Instagram/Facebook and it got mad love (of course)! Looking forward to watching your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This showed up on my Zite online magazine. You are so inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing. I got goose bumps, a few tears, and a LOT of motivation reading this. I just started Crossfit a few weeks ago. You Rock Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  26. GO GIRL!!! You're amaaaaazing! You blog/video made me cry too! Keep it up! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing keep having fun

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am going to print out your blog and post it on the wall in our box to inspire our athletes, as it has inspired me! Great job and keep it up, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  29. THANK YOU! I loved reading your story and hello Rich Flippin' Froning personally saying way to go - what could be better, right? Showing the love a CF family gives is priceless. I started Zone two years ago this November and modified CrossFit in March 2013 with my coach/hubby, as I suffer from Lipedema. It has changed my life! I went from barely being able to stand, to walking (2) 5Ks last year, and my new year's resolution this year (to flip the tractor tire solo) was crushed a couple months ago. I created a blog and support group for others like me and shared your story there today. Rock on sister, cannot wait to see what you do next!!! All the best, Pattie.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Respect and admiration to you for loving yourself enough to be your best. I am humbled and encouraged at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is awesome! This is why I LOVE crossfit <3 Shout out to you from Costa Rica Catharsis Box! You are awesome girl! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pretty amazing experience. Thanks for the share. You have just inspired a lot more people than you can even begin to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey Amanda,
    I'm am where you started. I'm the biggest girl at my new cross fit gym. Just wanted to say I was looking for a reason to back out today thinking I was to big to do this, I looked up reason why I could not do go through with it instead of why I can do it. Boom you're video popped up of you on a rowing machine and the light and spark that I started this journey with came back to me. Thanks for putting your self out there, just know your dedication just helped me push through my fear.

    ReplyDelete