Monday, April 1, 2013

No Rep!

Hi!

Hope everyone is doing well! As I sit here typing this, several areas of my body are in pain- shoulders (from 13.4), legs, butt, wrists, neck...pretty much every part. LOL. It's that good hurt though- the one where you know you worked hard. Anyhow, things have been really great. I am seeing an intense shift in my attitude and self confidence lately. Things that I normally wouldn't do (i.e. just walking up to a random- not bad looking, guy at crossfit the other day & introducing myself ) aren't making me feel nervous and self-conscious. This is fantastic. I'm starting to feel good in my own skin- a feeling that I've never had before.

I can't believe how much I look forward to going to crossfit- I have NEVER been excited to workout- ever. Of course, having the best coach ever & and an excellent group of athletes makes it so much easier! I am so thankful for the friendships that I have forged over the past few months. I never had a lot of friends- many acquaintances  but not many people that I could count on. I now have so many people that I consider my crossfit family- I know that they genuinely care for me and my goals, and vice versa. There are also so many new people joining our box, which makes for a great opportunity to make new friends (even though the classes are getting pretty big!).

So yesterday was Easter- and I got a little out of control. Of course, being from an Italian family- pasta is the first course, followed by a second course - usually what regular people would just eat for the entire meal, lol.  My aunt makes this sauce- we only have it twice a year- because apparently it's so "bad" for you- it has bacon, ground beef, carrots, onions, and heavy cream- served over pasta. It is my favorite sauce in the whole world. It sounds like an odd combination of items, but it is seriously the most delicious thing ever. It's sort of like a bolognese, but not really. Now that I list the ingredients- it's not really that bad for you- minus the heavy cream and pasta. Anyhow, we only have it twice a year, so I knew going into yesterday, that I would be having some of that. I haven't had any sort of pasta product since the beginning of the paleo challenge. I can't believe how much a small bowl of pasta affected me! I felt so tired after- like more than I normally feel. I had to go lie down in my cousin's bed!! Suffice it to say, I won't be having pasta for a very long time. I don't like the way it makes me feel...even though it is delicious. Then my other downfall- desserts. My aunt made these absolutely delicious, buttery, raspberry squares. They were so good. I couldn't have just one- I had to have like 2...ok, maybe 3. My stomach hated me yesterday after dinner. Now I know that I can't over-do it like that. I don't like the way I feel- physically & mentally. It's over now, but it was good learning experience to actually see how these foods effect me.

Before Easter was the 13.4 Open WOD. It was a doozie. This was the first of the open workouts where I couldn't record an official score. At first, I was upset that I wouldn't be able to record anything, but then I realized that it's so great that I am even at this stage of the game! The scores are just for me! I'm obviously not going to compete in the crossfit games- so the scores are irrelevant. These open events are just to see where I am this year- and see how I'll compare when next year rolls around! Here's the 13.4 WOD:

7 minute ladder
3 Clean and Jerks (95lbs.)
3 Toes to Bar
6 Clean and Jerks (135/95)
6 Toes to Bar
continue adding 3s until time is up




First of all- a couple of weeks ago, I could BARELY get 75lbs for the push press- never mind 95lbs. That's when I knew I would have to scale it, and I wouldn't be officially recording anything. But I would try it any way- just to see if I was given some sort of super human strength over the past few weeks- unlikely. I tried to get 95lbs to the clean position at least 5 times- I couldn't do it. If I couldn't clean it, then I certainly would not be able to jerk it (that's what she said!). Even if I could C&J 95lbs, I can't do toes to bar (yet) so the most official reps I would have got would be 3. I scaled down to 65lbs. Toes to bar are an absolutely insane movement. Look it up on youtube (along with the clean and jerk) and you'll know what I'm talking about. Your toes have to touch the pull up bar. WHAT???? These people are nuts. I usually just bring my knees up as high as I can- close enough for now. I was paired up with one of the teens- Hayden. She is the daughter of some of my favorite bare-covers, Hillary & Phil. Luckily, Hayden & I could both only clean & jerk 65lbs. So I didn't feel as bad. She was a great motivator- keeping me updated on how many more reps I had & pushing me to keep going (I think she gets that from her mom!!) I ended up with a total of 43 reps. Hayden got 42, so we were neck in neck with each other. My shoulders are still killing me from Saturday! I love the energy we have in the box during the open events. Everyone is amped up- it's so awesome.


We had a few very fit- very awesome & incredibly good looking visitors at the box this week too. Whoa nelly, I have never seen bodies like the ones I saw on Saturday. These guys & one girl were beasts. The two handsome, strapping men ended up doing the wod when all of us finished- perfect- so we could watch! I was sitting there with my phone literally snapping pics as they were going ham during the workout. Honest to God, I have never seen two more perfect bodies in my life. Until, our coach, Mike did the wod! I have never seen Mike do an open wod before- so this was really cool- to see him in beast/paincave mode. He ended up doing it after everyone was done. All of us were just standing there staring- even his parents, who were here visiting were watching in awe. It was one of the most incredible things I have ever witnessed. He talks about his "dark and scary place" that he goes to during these open wods, but to experience it, is something else. My level of respect for him skyrocketed following that workout. He ended up with 100 reps. The reigning fittest man on earth came in with 126 reps. HOLY SH*T. It was nuts. We were there- our whole crossfit family cheering on our coach- it was electric. At the end, he just ripped his shoes and socks off & looked like he might pass out. After a few minutes, he was back to his old Mike self. Once again, I'm so proud and lucky to have him as my coach. He is one of the main reasons that I stayed at crossfit following Onramp. I feel like I do better at everything when he is near me- he doesn't even have to be teaching our class- just knowing that he's somewhere in the building makes me feel okay. It's strange- I just need his energy to do well. LOL. Now that I'm a complete creeper...hahaha.

Next week is the last of the open workouts. It's going to be sad. I have been looking forward to the announcements every week. I think we should do our own open at RCFBC, just so we can keep that open energy in the box at all times. After the wod next week, we'll be having a party! I can't wait to spend time- not working out with my crossfit family. It's going to be great!

So for this week- I'm back on track & ready to bring it! Have a great week!! Love you all!

-A


No comments:

Post a Comment